Old Blog, New Twist

So much to say, so little space to say it...without boring you to tears on your first visit.

First, thank you for visiting my reboot. My intention here is to keep my posts relatively short (we may all have a good laugh about this later), but informative. First, I think I have some 'splainin' to do, Lucy.

A few years ago, I had a blog called Ponderous Things. It was a fun place for me to write about the books I'd published and to warn of my upcoming endeavors. I usually posted a very informal, write-it-as-it-comes flash fiction story about the world inside my head, along with a few digital illustrations that I'd come up with while fiddling around with Adobe Photoshop. I added the images strictly to keep my readers' attention, beings that I have first hand knowledge of the condition known as RSAS, or Ridiculously Short Attention Span, and can attest that pictures help immensely...

My goal for the original Ponderous Things was to stay in touch with my readers while also steadily working on my writing. I kept the blog going for a couple years and had a respectable number of followers, but what I discovered from that old blog was a new twist:  my stories were better when illustrated. At the same time, I became aware that dratted old RSAS completely vanished while I was emersed in the wonders of Photoshop.

And so it began. I started working with Photoshop in 2012, learning from YouTube tutorials, artists blogs, books, and a couple of online introductory courses from a local college. My natural drawing ability was never top of the class, and I rarely colored inside any lines, but something about Photoshop triggered the monster within. I became obsessed with learning this software because the more I "painted," the better storyteller I became. 

Once I understood that the stories I have inside my head don't always make it to the page the way I intend if I'm using only words, I took that cliff dive into digital art. I developed my own weird style, a literal Rolodex (look it up, youngsters) of characters, and, being a news junkie, a laundry list of headlines to write about. And off I went! With the stories sketched out and well underway, I began incorporating other digital media assets into my work, creating montages that helped me get my ideas across. I believe if I can actually show the reader what I see, then they'll see it, too, and we'll finally all be on the same page, page-after-page, book-after-book. 

A hint of upcoming work:  Mary Morgan's Journal, a fully-illustrated trilogy

The Cautioner's Tale (Book1)-Coming 11/8/2017
Please visit my website for more information:  www.iamrmwilburn.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calling All Cover Lovers!

An Extreme and Absolute Time-Sucker

The Cautioner's Tale - second installment